Gynecomastia is a condition of swelling or enlargement of breast tissue in males. It is generally caused if the estrogen levels are too high or out of balance with testosterone levels. It can affect either one or both breasts.
Estrogen is in control of female traits like breast growth, and testosterone controls male traits like muscle mass and body hair. Males and females have both hormones in their bodies, but the ratios are different. Estrogen levels are usually very low in males when compared to the testosterone levels, while the opposite is true for females. When estrogen levels are too high in males, it causes gynecomastia. This can be removed by a surgery of gynecomastia cost.
What are some other causes?
The imbalance between estrogen and testosterone is the main cause, but here are other things that may cause gynecomastia, such as:
- Lack of nutrition
- Tumors in the testicles or adrenal gland
- Liver disease
- Kidney failure
- Some drugs also cause gynecomastia. These include:
- Steroids for athletic improvement
- Finasteride (for enlarged prostate)
- Diazepam (for anxiety)
- Ketoconazole (for fungal infections)
- Human chorionic gonadotropin for issues related to fertility.
- Marijuana, heroin, methadone, and alcohol.
When can it occur?
Gynecomastia may occur naturally at one of three stages of a male’s life, such as:
- After birth: This is a time when the body is still under the influence of estrogen that the child obtained when he was in his mother’s womb. The enlarged breasts eventually go away after two to three weeks.
- At puberty: Hormone levels are constantly changing during puberty. Breast enlargement usually goes away six months to two years after the start of puberty.
- Midlife and Beyond: Most men face breast enlargement between the ages of 50 and 80.
How can gynecomastia be diagnosed?
Breast pain and tenderness are common symptoms of gynecomastia. A rubbery disk of tissue is found directly under the nipple area during the exam. The lump is easily movable within the breast tissue. Your doctor may order blood tests to check hormone levels, other breast imaging tests (this is mostly done to rule out the possibility of breast cancer), or ask about your medications to see if there may be any other causes for the condition.
Usually, no medication is required for this condition as it goes away after a while. But it may be embarrassing for some men, so talking to a counselor can help. However, the situation can be surgically altered. The surgery for gynecomastia is incredibly safe, but there is always a scope for complications. The surgery requires some preparations like stopping the intake of the medication that may be the cause for the condition, usage of drugs, smoking, and increasing your nutrition.
Gynecomastia cost may range from INR 65000 and INR 95000, or an average of $4120. The surgery may be worth the money if this condition is affecting your self-confidence. Recovery from the surgery does not take long, and you will be able to return to activities like work or exercise in a week.